Ed Lee and I have been pulling together another EDA Bloggers’ Birds of a Feather, this one at the 2008 ICCAD Conference. It will be on Wednesday November 12, 4-6pm in the Fir Ballroom. It’s listed in the ICCAD program as an additional meeting: EDA Bloggers’ Birds-of-a-Feather sponsored by IEEE CEDA and organized by Juan-Antonio Carballo of the IBM Venture Capital Group in San Mateo, CA.
- Promote blogging in EDA / ASIC Design Industry
- Allow bloggers to meet and get to know one another in a community of practice setting.
- Educate interested parties, readers and others interested in blogging.
- Opening remarks Juan-Antonio Carballo (our sponsor for the event at ICCAD)
- One Minute intro by each attendee: Name, Company/Affiliation, Blog; Can Suggest Issues or Discussion Topics.
- Three minute Lightning Talks (targeting 8-12 depending upon who volunteers)
- Open Discussion
If you are interested in giving a Lightning Talk (3 slides in 3 minutes) please contact me.
Possible Topics for Lightning Talks (many of these came from prep for DAC BoF)
- Why I started a blog…and what I’ve learned since I started.
- Blogging on topics that are not covered enough (e.g. DFT)
- Online magazines, vendor communities, “DeepChip”, and blogs: what each is good for.
- Blogging Standards Efforts
- Tips for blogging Conferences
- Good Topics that I really want to write about, but am afraid to.
- How to build and track audience.
- Pros and cons of comments.
- Team blogging. (multiple authors contributing to one blog)
- Micro-blogging: Twitter, Tumblr and others
- Lessons Learned from Blogging
- For readers: how to find and follow blogs.
Confirmed presenters (in alphabetical order by last name, this list will be updated as speakers are added)
- Karen Bartleson http://synopsysoc.org/thestandardsgame/
- John Blyler http://www.chipdesignmag.com/blyler/
- John Busco http://jab-semi.blogspot.com/
- Mike Demler http://synopsysoc.org/analoginsights/
- Grant Martin http://www.chipdesignmag.com/martins/
- Rick Munden http://blog.freemodelfoundry.com/
- Sean Murphy https://www.skmurphy.com/blog/
- Warren Savage http://www.design-reuse.com/blogs/oncores
You are also welcome to attend without giving a lightning talk, this will be an related event at ICCAD but will not require ICCAD registration to attend. I think we can support about eight to twelve lightning talks and still have time both for attendees to introduce themselves and plenty of discussion.
There is a mailing list for EDA bloggers at http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/edabloggers/ It’s is a very low traffic (1-2 messages a month) moderated E-mail distribution list for announcements and other notices of general interest to EDA Blogging community. It’s intended to help coordinate Birds of a Feather and other events for bloggers at EDA related conferences and other venues.
Please contact me if you are interested in attending and/or giving a talk. If you want to use slides (max 3) I will need them by November 5 (a week in advance) so that we can stage them on one computer for easy changes between speakers.
Related links on this blog
- What Happens When 70 EDA Blogs becomes 500 in 2011?
- A Primer on Blogs for EDA Start-ups
- Bloggers Covering Electronic Design Automation
Other Blog coverage:
Update Wed-Oct-14: John Blyler has been added as a speaker, addressing “Blogging, a Publisher’s Dilemma” which will be a lightning talk on Staffer vs Guest bloggers, group bloggers to cover functional topics, ROI schemes, community building.
Update Wed-Oct-27: Rick Munden has been added as a speaker.
2 thoughts on “EDA Bloggers’ BoF at ICCAD 2008”
Pingback: SKMurphy » Bloggers Covering Electronic Design Automation
Pingback: SKMurphy » EDA Bloggers’ BoF at ICCAD 2008 Wed-Nov-12 4-6pm in Fir Room