If you are updating your website, here a couple of things you want to make sure you do:
- Add Google Analytics to your new pages.
- Add permanent redirects (HTTP 301) for any pages you have moved/renamed to preserve search engine ranking.
- View your website on multiple browsers (at least the latest versions of Internet Explorer and Firefox).
- Run Website Grader to get a short fix-it list for things you may have overlooked.
- Run a spell check on any pages you have added or updated; we use spellr.us.
Update Nov-17 Andy Wright of Elevensoft suggests “I’d also check for broken links and check that your markup is valid.” Two good suggestions which prompt me to add
- Google’s Webmaster Tools offer a number of good checks: in particular the “Crawl Errors” and “HTML Suggestions” diagnostics. Like Google Analytics it’s free.
Update Nov-20: Colin Warwick suggests “Xenu’s Link Sleuth is another good broken link checker. It’s an app that you install.”
2 thoughts on “Updating Your Website? Don’t Forget …”
Check for broken links
Check your markup is valid
Xenu’s Link Sleuth is another good broken link checker. It’s an app that you install.