100+ EDA Blogs: I have updated the “Bloggers Covering Design Automation” list so that it now has over 100 listed. I think remain on track for 500 blogs by 2011 as I had predicted in “What Happens when 70 EDA Blogs Become 500 in 2011.” It’s clear that this will create a number of opportunities for new aggregation sites.
- Private company consolidations because you have alignment on values and valuations have collapsed in a recession so no argument on price.
- Possible federation of IP companies around a common channel.
One key point he made in the blog post was “In my opinion, there is a substantial untapped System-Level IP opportunities in block level interconnect and memory control–the architecture through which IP is integrated and IP interoperation is achieved.” Hogan also had a long interview in December with Peggy Aycinena as “The Audacity of Design” that’s worth reading.
Wally Rhines had a great keynote at DesignCon 2009 “Common Wisdom Versus Reality in the Electronics Industry” with a couple of key points:
- 1990’s growth rates in teens, average for last ten years about 5%.
- Top three vendors maintain 70-75% market share for least 30 years.
- VC’s continue to invest $200-300 million, this may have changed in 2008/9
- About 50 new EDA startups created every year
- “Recessions are the time that the greatest innovations occur because they have to occur.”
- EDA revenue has “consistently been 2% of IC revenue for the last two decades.”
- Ann Steffora Mutschler’s “EDA Common Sense…Or Common Myths”
- Dylan McGrath “Rhines challenges pessimistic prognosis for EDA“
I am still looking for a copy of the slides.