Etienne Garbugli looks at finding product opportunities, and how entrepreneurs deliver value and gain a foothold inside businesses.
From Needs to Opportunities:
How to Unpack Organizational Decision-Making to
Find New Product Opportunities by Etienne Garbugli
How do needs first appear inside organizations? What causes business stakeholders to agree to buy new, unproven technology?
In this hour-long discussion, Etienne looks at how needs and product opportunities first appear inside organizations, and how ambitious entrepreneurs can unpack organizational decision-making processes to deliver value and gain a foothold inside businesses.
Etienne Garbugli is a 3-time Startup Founder (Flagback, HireVoice and Highlights), a 5-time entrepreneur and a recognized customer research expert.
Etienne Garbugli highlights some opportunities for startups:
- Addressing emerging needs
- Solving immediate pains
- Address needs with greater precision
- Introducing solutions that aren’t compete
Join Us for Future Lean Culture Meetups
Related Blog Posts
- Q: Is a Focus on Inefficiencies a Good Way to Find an Underserved Market?
Offers several good lists from Paul Graham, Bob Bemer, Gary Hamel, and Peter Drucker on where to look for innovation opportunities. My favorite is Drucker’s from his “Innovation and Entrepreneurship” where he offered the following observation on the frame of mind need to spot opportunities for innovation.
“Innovation requires us to systematically identify changes that have already occurred but whose full effects have not yet been felt, and then to look at them as opportunities. It also requires existing companies to abandon rather than defend yesterday.”
Drucker goes on to suggest seven places to search systematically for opportunities
- The Unexpected
- The Incongruous
- Weak Link In Existing Process
- Industry Or Market Structure Change
- Demographics: Size, Age Structure
- New Zeitgeist: Perception, Mood, Meaning
- New Knowledge
- New Startups Form in Private Conversations
- A Primer on Business Assets for High Technology Startups
- Benefits of SKMurphy Mastermind for Entrepreneurs
- Mastering The Skill of Entrepreneurship
- Octavia Butler: Cultivate Habits That Enable Persistence and Learning
- Scott Berkun: How to Translate Observations and Creative Insight Into a Solution
- Q: How Do I Make Sure I Understand The Customer’s Problem and Present a Vision of a Solution?
- A Serious Conversation Can Change Your Life
- Innovator’s DNA Series Overview