Consulting is a referral-driven business. Here are four things you can do today to build referrals.
What Can I Do to Build Referrals?
Q: I have been consulting for a two years. My initial clients have been two former employers (including my most recent) and three people I met at professional society events. In talking to more experienced consultants they stress the value of referrals. Do you have any suggestions for how to go about this in an organized manner?
Consulting Is a Referrals Driven Business
Consulting is a referrals driven business. Here are four things you can do today to cultivate more referrals:
- Make a list of at least 30 people you have had shared success with. Go back at least 15 years or college/university. Taking the time to go back to your first job is worth it.
- Contact those people and tell them
- What you have been up to
- Here’s what I am looking for, please refer people to if they are looking for my services
- Please let me know what you have been up to and call if there is anything I can do to help.
- Keep their needs in mind and pro-actively notify them if you run across articles, people, events, or opportunities that are relevant or likely to be useful.
- Write 2 testimonials for people in the shared success category in LinkedIn
Trackback from your site.